Upgrade from Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365
Simplify, automate, and innovate with Dynamics 365 Finance
Microsoft AX support has ended, but don’t let that slow your business down. Upgrade from Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365 Finance for best-in-class features, enhanced financial visibility and boosted profitability.
Partner with us for a seamless migration from AX to Dynamics 365 Finance and ensure your business continues to thrive.
Why should you migrate from Dynamics AX to Finance?
End of Support for Dynamics AX (Axapta) 2012 R3
Microsoft ended its extended support for AX 2012 R3 on January 10, 2023. For businesses still using AX 2012, this is an opportunity to future-proof your business and ensure that you have the tools you need to succeed in the years to come.
But if you are using an older unsupported version like AX 4.0 or AX 2009, you will need to implement a new system.
Dynamics AX vs. Dynamics 365 Finance Comparison
Benefits of a Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365 upgrade
Upgrade from Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365 Finance for a more modern, secure, and cloud-based ERP solution.
- Reduced costs on hardware, labor, on-premise servers, and database administration.
- Eliminates the need for on-premise servers and database administration.
- Cloud-hosted solution with built-in security features such as application role-based authentication and other identity management features.
- Provides top-notch safety to the company’s privacy and enables all the teams in the company to access data anytime, anywhere.
- Offers functionalities such as Life Cycle Services (LCS), a portal that provides several services to help users manage app development and migration.
- Seamlessly integrates with Power Automate and helps employees build automation with a low-code platform, drag-and-drop tools, pre-built connectors, and AI-powered workflows.
Streamline business operations
- The cloud-based Dynamics 365 platform syncs with your operations, ensuring that the business flow is constant.
- Unifies ERP and CRM applications and tailors Power platform applications that cater to each company’s diverse and unique needs, allowing them to customize services and leverage benefits.
- Rich with tools that facilitate data migration, integrations, and customizations.
- Features like Dataverse and LCS reduce the time and money spent building custom apps; eliminate complicated integrations using third-party platforms.
- Automatically and frequently upgrade your system with the latest features.
- Save costs by not upgrading your ERP
- Power BI offers intuitive business data through user-friendly visualizations and charts to build custom apps, workflows, and automation by leveraging Microsoft Cloud, Data Lake, Data Factory, and embedded AI and ML.
- Intelligent dashboards with analytic tools gather and compile data in real time.
- The compiled data is then displayed in reports, which help companies create strategic plans.
Possible challenges during a Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365 Upgrade
Upgrading to Dynamics 365 can be a big undertaking, but it’s worth it in the end. DemandDynamics helps you to carefully plan and execute your AX 2009 or 2012 to Dynamics 365 migration allowing you to leverage the advantages of a more modern and powerful ERP system.
Customizations and integrations
Your existing customizations and integrations may not work with Dynamics 365, so you will need to evaluate them carefully and make necessary changes.
Your data needs to be clean, organized, and accurate before you can migrate it to Dynamics 365; clean data means fewer problems.
Moving to the cloud is a big change for your team, and it’s important to manage the transition carefully to avoid resistance and disruption.
If you are using an outdated version of AX, you will need to extract your data and re-implement it in Dynamics 365. This can be complex and time-consuming.
Expected timeline for an upgrade from Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365
The migration process can vary significantly, spanning from a few weeks to several months. Several factors come into play when determining the implementation duration.
Extent of customizations
Number of users in your plan
Data volume for import
Integration with third-party apps
It is important to account for the time needed for customizations, testing, and workflow adjustments. Partner with DemandDynamics to develop a migration plan that meets your specific needs.
Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365 upgrade Pricing
The Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365 upgrade cost depends on several factors such as system redesign, customizations, data model changes, user and license requirements, deprecated features, data migration, implementation services, training, and ongoing support.
Contact us to get an accurate estimate of the cost of your upgrade and develop a customized upgrade plan.
Frequently Asked Questions
1When is the end support for Dynamics AX?
2What are the steps for upgrading from Dynamics AX to Dynamics 365 F&O?
Assessment: Evaluate your Dynamics AX setup, identifying potential challenges.
Planning: Develop a comprehensive migration plan with your partner.
Migration: Transfer data and customizations to Dynamics 365.
Testing: Rigorously test the new system for functionality.
Deployment: Roll out the system to your users after successful testing.
3What is the difference between Dynamics AX and Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations?
4Can you migrate AX customizations during the upgrade?
- D365 customizations are made by extending the base code via LCS, so you’ll need to manually code to ensure your current customizations are compatible.
- Microsoft’s code upgrade tool can clean up your custom code and prepare it for deployment in the new environment.
- If you’re starting from a pre-2012 solution, you may want to reimplement Dynamics after assessing current business requirements and data needs, then implement modifications via LCS.