Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central has gained a lot of attention from GP users, as Microsoft is projecting it as their core cloud product for the mid-market.
Planning to Migrate from Microsoft Dynamics GP to Dynamics 365 Business Central? Here Are the Top Things You Need to Consider!
Did you know that Microsoft Dynamics GP is nearing the end of its support lifespan? If not, mainstream support for Dynamics GP 2016 and 2016 R2 will end by July 13, 2021.
The question now is: What choices do current GP users have?
Current GP users can either continue using GP until they are ready to make a shift or can transition to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central to take advantage of its advanced cloud-based capabilities. Microsoft was previously committed to providing bug fixes and security for GP users who had not yet assessed their GP solution. However, Microsoft will no longer offer substantial technological or functional advancements for Dynamics GP.
On the other hand, Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central has gained a lot of attention from GP users, as Microsoft is projecting it as their core cloud product for the mid-market. Microsoft has also made significant investments in the cloud to encourage digital transformation, agility, and connected operations.
Table of Contents
Why Should You Migrate from Microsoft Dynamics GP to Dynamics 365 Business Central?
Many companies choose to transition to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central because of its modern user experience and user-friendly platform that can be accessed from any device.
10 Things You Need to Know Before Migrating from Dynamics GP to Dynamics 365 Business Central:
- User-interface: Business Central has a modern and intuitive user interface that is easy to customize and personalize to enhance your efficiency.
- Stability: Business Central users do not experience the regular Batch posting issues often seen in Dynamics GP, which reduces data integrity issues, lowers IT and support costs, and provides greater user satisfaction.
- Scalability: Business Central is fully scalable, and you can quickly scale up or down as your needs or business requirements change.
- Analytics: Business Central includes ‘Dimensions’ which enable you to analyze data where and when you need to without having to create surplus GL Account codes.
- Releases: Microsoft is focused on advancing its cloud offerings, specifically for Business Central. Microsoft releases two major waves of updates for Business Central per year, including a wide range of new features and critical feature enhancements.
- Upgrades: Business Central is upgraded automatically at no additional license cost, so users receive free upgrades and an excellent return on investment.
- Integration: Business Central is fully integrated with Office 365 and leverages Microsoft 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams, SharePoint) and the Microsoft Power Platform.
- Cloud Solution: The Cloud is the future, and Business Central is a modern cloud-based solution that is accessible from any device, at any time around the globe.
- Data Export: Business Central allows data to be exported to excel for viewing and editing purposes, without having to create SmartLists in a separate application.
- Migration: The automated data migration tool can significantly reduce the cost of migrating from Dynamics GP to Business Central. This tool can be configured to move standing or master data and historical transactional data as well.
In addition to the 10 major benefits listed above, Business Central has other features and functionalities that help companies enhance their business processes.
Other Significant Features and Functionalities of Business Central
- Easier integration with external applications
- Includes Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Out-of-the-box dashboards
- Extensive financial reporting options
- Cash flow functionality
- Warehouse management
- Enhanced approval workflows
- Job costing and projects
- Robust reporting options
- Extension development
- Late payment predictions
- Data migration toolkit
- Better manufacturing and distribution capabilities
- Provides better support for branches and multiple entities
- Extendable functionality through Microsoft AppSource
Upgrade to Business Central
Migrating from Dynamics GP to Business Central is simply a question of when. Although there are some short-term possibilities, the most realistic expectation is that users will need to leave GP within a few years. Even the extended support for GP 2013, 2015, and 2016 may not help you in the long run. However, if you are still unsure about migrating, discuss it with our DemandDynamics experts, as we have many years of experience in developing strategies to fit unique business needs.
If you would like to analyze, assess, or learn more about migrating from your existing GP solution to Business Central, reach out to our team today!